The ZW Business
Waste is a sign of inefficiency of a system and/ or a process. Therefore it is no surprise that successful companies try to optimize processes and eliminate waste. A company that is generating excessive waste whilst at the same time obtaining good results is because is loading the burden on the shoulder of some other actor in the society.
In the current situation of a globalised economy, companies with zero waste strategies are more likely to survive in the long term.
Basic principles for the Zero Waste Business are:
– Raw materials should be obtained, whenever possible, from recycled materials and not from new extraction. Any new extraction should be only justifiable when it comes from a regenerating source. A Zero Waste company will be diverting 90% from landfill and incineration.
– The linear system of production needs to be changed into a circular system in which the recycling potential can be maximised.
– Production processes should be redesigned in view of avoiding the generation of waste –in and outside the plant-.
– The consumption of energy and generation of waste of the product/machine should be included in the optimisation calculations.
– Apply eco-design and integrated product policy approach.
– Change the focus from labour productivity to resources productivity.
The examples below – sorted by category and included on a map – are good illustrations of The Zero Waste Business approach spreading across Europe.
If you are a part of or know of a Zero Waste Business which follows these principles then please fill in our form to be included on our website and map.